The Airbus Vahana, the Volocopter, and Urban Aeronautics Ltd.’s Cormorant are three VTOL’s trying to gain approval to be used in flying taxi services. The main challenge these companies face is overcoming regulatory approval to fly vehicles in densely-packed cities.
- Self-flying, seats one passenger.
- Range: 31 miles
- Price: $250/hour
- Timeline: Trials start before 2017 year-end. In service by 2021.
- Invested in by Intel venture-capital arm
- Timeline: Trials start next year.
- Designed to fly into locations too confined for helicoptors